Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Start of a Cook Book

I have the crazy desire to write a cook book. So instead of just blogging (hate that word) this will become the start of my test kitchen. I have been stressing for days on what foods to start with. Then as I was cleaning the horse stalls just after I had fed all animals large and small, it came to me like a bolt of lightening - "Silly", said the voice in my head. "The day always starts with breakfast." And so it does and so I will and so here it is - the first recipe to work on - a recipe for breakfast.

Now don't think you just get to sit there and watch me struggle. No. You have a job to do. I am now deputizing each of you to be my test kitchen. A test kitchen is integral to the success of a recipe. When I worked for Redbook and Bon Appetit we were challenged again and again to transform recipes from many different sources to make sure they would come out when you tried them at home. For now,  try the recipes you like. Then write back and tell me how they came out. Send pictures, comments and suggestions. I am not saying I will incorporate them all. After all this is my cook book but your help is invaluable and I thank you profusely in advance. Those who respond will be given a signed copy of the book and my undying gratitude. So lets get started

I have been converted to thinking you start breakfast one of two ways: Either with a quick protein packed shake or with a paleo style meal. Both are heavy on protein and light on sugar and carbs. This is soooo important. You know that droop you feel around 10:30 and you think you need more caffeine and a donut or you will NEVER make it til lunch? I have found through trial and error that if you eat enough protein and fat in the morning you will feel energized all morning. Yes I said fat. But I am not talking cinnamon buns (which happen to be my favorite things on earth from Grand Central Bakery in Portland where, on a recent trip, I threw all caution to the wind and ate not only their signature roll but a new brioche version - which is PHENOMENAL- while standing in the street and on my way to lunch.)

So all that being said here is what I ate for breakfast today:
Crab Cake on Wilted Spinach with Cilantro Pesto Topped with Fried Egg and Madre de Selva Hot Sauce*


Whoa -  I hear you say. Are you nuts. I can't make that for breakfast. Ridiculous amount of time and effort. That would be true if you hadn't had crab cakes the night before and didn't have pesto that you made a week ago for risotto and hadn't been to Peru where you found your favorite hot sauce of all time. But lets break this down a step at a time and start with


Crab Cakes- Paleo style - will make 4-6 cakes


Ingredients


1/4 cup mayonnaise (you can cheat and use Hellman's low fat for this)
4 scallions chopped thin
1 large egg, beaten
2 tsp Dijon mustard (or Creole style)
1/2 medium lemon, juiced
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning (this is key so get some)
1/2 jalapeno, no seeds chopped fine
1 lb crabmeat (you can find this at Costco in a can. Of course if you have fresh all the better)
1 cup almond flour
1 Tb chives, chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 Tb Coconut oil


Method


Whisk ingredients mayo through jalapeno in a medium sized bowl. Use a spatula to add crabmeat. Fold in about four times then add the rest of the ingredients. Mixture should hold together but will be not be super tight. 

Heat oil in a nonstick pan medium high heat. When a drop of water sizzles in the pan (just get your finger wet from the faucet and fling in a drop), drop in cakes 1/4 - 1/3 cup of mixture depending on how big you want them. Do not make them too big as they will fall apart on you when you turn them. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side til golden brown. Voila - crab cakes!

So now we have the first step of this delicious breakfast which is actually dinner - try them and then save one or two for the next morning. Sauce and spinach coming in the next recipe. 

*By the way - the salsa I used is very special. I am trying to get some more sent here. It is made from the "fish eye " chili that grows in the Southern Amazon region in Peru. You can check out their website for fun  Madre Selva and anyone going to Cusco let me know! 





No comments: