Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why scrambled?



Over the past year I have been exploring my passions and enjoying family and friends, (including the dogs and the horses). The thought that keeps popping in my brain is "keep it simple stupid". The more complicated life gets, the more chance that we forget what makes us, well, us. That includes what nurtures us as the unique humans we each are. And I have come to the conclusion that for me, at least, it starts with food. I wake up thinking what I will have for breakfast after I feed the dogs, make a shake for the husband and empty the dishwasher. I job I absolutely hate. I am not sure why dishes do not automatically replace themselves on the shelf when they are clean.

Invariably, I turn to scrambled eggs. They are delicious, give you energy, go with sweet or savory sides. But, you have to learn to make them - I mean really make them- to get the full wonder of them. So, here you go.




THE BEST SCRAMBLED EGGS - for any meal
serves 1, but double, triple or quadruple if you have more

2 eggs, organic, fresh as you can get them
2 tsp organic, unsalted butter (This is important. you can use olive oil as a substitute but nothing else)
1 Tb cold water
pinch of salt and pepper (you can season to taste when you eat)
Sprinkling of chives or parsley or whatever fresh herbs you have on hand. Tarragon is great!

Break eggs one at a time into a bowl. Make sure you remove any egg shells from them before you whisk. Add water, salt and pepper.

Use a table fork and whisk well until they are slightly foamy.

Put a non-stick frying pan on LOW heat. Add butter.

When butter is melted and begins to bubble slightly, pour in your eggs. Let them begin to set for about 20 seconds.
Begin to stir and scrape with a teflon spatula. Pause a few seconds between scrapes. You want them creamy at the end not hard and rubbery.















Continue until they look slightly moist but not loose. 1-3 minutes depending on your stove-top.
Remove pan to cool burner while you set out a beautiful plate. Scrape the eggs onto the plate and finish with your fresh herbs. Sit down and take a moment to eat even if you are alone.
Serve with what you like -  toast or salad or sliced tomatoes. (We will get to those sides in later recipes. )

Buen Provecho!



No comments: