Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting Back to the Ranch

Well, it has been a momentous few months. The joy, the love, the adrenaline! Our youngest, Ella, achieved so much by graduating from Reed College in biology with commendations yet. Our middle one Sophie is now married to the wonderful David Greenbaum. And our oldest, Henry, has brought his practice of energy law all the way to the Reservation near Window Rock Arizona. My heart bursts with pride and love for all our children. Amazing people. And then my dear husband surprised me with a bright red pick up truck for my 60th birthday. I drove to the ranch after a 6 week absence - and what a ride! The dogs were happy, I found country on my new XM radio system and we seemed to float up the 99 to Porterville.
And now I am back here at Blue Arrow Ranch with my beloved horses. Yes it is hot as h - e- double toothpicks during the day. But cool and star studded at night. I look forward to getting back in the saddle and reconnecting with the farmers, ranchers, vineyards and mountain trails that make this area so so unique.
I have been here for 3 nights alone. Catching up on House Hunters International - my new guilty pleasure - and discovering that the cast off George Forman Grill that I found down in Malibu makes the most wonderful panini. Tonight I painted some multi grain bread with mustard, olive humus (Sabra is the best commercial by far) and a little creamy garlic basil spread. Then piled on honey turkey slices, manchego cheese, fresh tomato, pickles, jalapeno slices and drizzled a little olive oil on both sides of the bread. Popped it in the George Foreman for about 5 minutes. Fantastic!
So I am back and look forward to checking in with you all again soon.
And, hey, if this is what 60 feels like, I am loving it and wouldn't trade it for any age I have ever been. Tho' I do dream of those days when my stomach was just a little trimmer. But give up Scotch and chocolate? Never!

No comments: