Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Visit to Portland

I flew off early in the morning and was treated to Malibu rising out of the fog. Truly beautiful. For the next 2 hours I shared a cabin with Nancy Pelosi.
 ( I kid you not - this is her picture as she looked through her suitcase. The secret service guy's arm is sticking into the camera lens.) I only spoke to her for a minute and said something like - " Oh be careful, I don't want to klunk you on the head with my suitcase - I am one of the ones who does NOT want to klunk you on the head" - She laughed.
A mere 45 minutes later I was sitting outside Grand Central Bakery enjoying a latte and an apricot tart.

 Portland is truly the food capitol of the West coast and possibly all of America. The locavore culture reins supreme and the rainy days keep people cooking in the kitchen or eating - at least I am guessing that is why everyone is so food-centric. Went to a new restaurant (for me at least) which was fabulous. In the NE section of town created out of an old firehouse - called (surprise) FireHouse!

Awesome, simple menu with home made pizzas from their wood oven, mussels, grilled fish and meat and delicious drinks. Here is Ella having her favorite.

Dinner was fabulous but our favorite had to be the appetizers -  Fried Green Tomatoes with Fried Lemon, Stuffed Fried Olives and Bruschetta with Heirloom Tomatoes.







The  next morning we just had to go back to the
food carts on Mississippi. Now this is what we need in Malibu. The Big Egg is just open for breakfast and what a breakfast!
Which would you choose : One egg with grilled Portobello mushrooms, caramelized Balsamic onions & arugula and roasted garlic and herb aioli on fresh toasted brioche bread OR
House made spicy peach lime jam, Hardwood smoked bacon, scrambled egg and fresh basil on toasted brioche bread...

I spent the rest of the trip looking at real estate but maybe what I should do is just buy a food cart! Now I am back at the ranch and busy testing pistachio recipes for a local grower so look for those recipes soon. I have 2 pounds of shelled pistachios sitting in my kitchen waiting for inspiration. Tonight Blueberry Pistachio Crisp.

No comments: